It is cold right now and traveling might not be top of mind, but it is always travel season. One of things that folks say most often is “I can’t afford to travel.” I get it, travel is not cheap and can be very expensive with flights, hotels, food, new clothes, souvenirs, etc. it adds up. But you can travel, just by developing new habits to help you save money.
1. If you can’t see it, you can’t spend it! Open a savings account with an on-line bank. Yeah I know interest rates are between .75% and 2.00% but you’ll be squirreling away money for your travels. Start with $50 a month and by year’s end you will have saved over $600 to spend on your travels. It’s worth it
2. I love my Caramel Macchiato, but real talk, it is on the pricey side. Skip the fancy coffee everyday and save it for a cup of espresso on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées or a sweet red in Napa
3. If you are drinking the H2O which I know you are, ditch those plastic bottles and invest in a metal bottle. Let’s do the math – water is like $1.00 a bottle on the low end, 1 bottle a day/per month = $30X12=$360 a year on dang water. Filling your own bottle with tap water could build a fat savings for fun travel
4. Couponing is all the rage right now. Start clipping coupons from newspapers, online sites, and mobile sites. The trick to couponing, coupon what you actually use day-to-day. It is not a deal if you wind up not using the product. Keep those coupons organized so you use them efficiently on your next shopping trip
5. Get an extra gig! You have talents and gifts, let them work for you! I’m in HR and I can write resumes/cover letters or provide interview tips. Not sure how to best use your talents, start here. Yes folks will pay $5 for all kinds of expertise
You can travel! Every amount you save can go towards transportation, accommodations, or sightseeing. Tell me how you save money for travel!
Linking with these lovely bloggers.